Our recommendations are to strictly follow the government guidelines and we urge people to try and limit their risk in whichever ways they see fit. More info here
Anyone displaying symptoms or who has visited an area with known cases should be automatically self-isolating and not traveling.
We are monitoring the situation on a daily basis and will update our advice if the situation changes.
General Government Advice:
- Follow the guidance on https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Below is the official advice from the Government regarding car-sharing for essential workers and can be seen in full here.
Social distancing in the workplace during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Advice for employers on social distancing during coronavirus (COVID-19) from Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
Use of private vehicles and car pooling
“When using a private vehicle to make a journey that is essential, cars should only be shared by members of the same household. Those who normally share a car with people who are not members of their own household for a journey that is essential, e.g. getting to work, should consider alternatives such as walking, cycling and public transport where you maintain a distance of 2 metres from others.
If the journey is essential, such as travel to work, and there is no option but to share a car with people who are not part of the same household, journeys should be shared with the same individuals and with the minimum number of people at any one time.
Good ventilation (i.e. keeping the windows open) and facing away from each other may help to reduce the risk of transmission. Private vehicles that are used by people from multiple households should be cleaned regularly using gloves and standard cleaning products with particular emphasis on handles and other areas where passengers may touch surfaces.”
Government Travel Advice
- You can still travel for essential work, provided you are not showing coronavirus symptoms and neither you nor any of your household are self-isolating.
- You should avoid public transport where you can.
- If travelling by car you should keep it clean, take a pack of tissues and follow the guidance on https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873778/COVID19_Guidance_Cleaning.pdf
Recommended Guidelines for Lift-sharing
- Download the Liftshare Companion App to keep track each time you share
- When lift-sharing have no more than 1 driver and 1 passenger per car
- No more than two people can use the same car at the same time, with limited exceptions: if passengers are all members of the same household, or emergency services;
- To maximise the distance between you, the passenger should travel in the back left
- Ideally, share with the same person each day
- Only share with someone who works for the hospital
- If you work in a ‘Covid19 present’ area, only share with others from same area.
- Do not share a lift to work if you have any Covid19 symptoms
- Your employer should provide a guaranteed ride home solution in case of emergency